Kabah, Yucatan

In the southeast side of the Yucatan Peninsula, the city of Kabah is 29 km. or 18 miles south of the city of Uxmal. South of Kabah are three other archaeological sites named Labna, Sayil, and Xlapak, whereas east is Ticul. Kabah constitutes an import

Kabah represents the second largest ruin city in the region named Puuc in the Yucatan Peninsula. It is believed that this city was inhabited since the third century BC and it is known that it lasted until the year 1200 AC, when it was abandoned.

Kabah has been visited by many tourists for its extraordinary buildings, especially the palace that is covered with masks of the rain god Chaac. In Kabah, a 18 km sacbe or ceremonial road with arches at each side stands out since it links the site to the city of Uxmal.

In the last decade, the archaeological works in Kabah have been resumed and the site is within a reserved and protected area of about 2470 acres.

The structure at Kabah that is best known is the Palace of the Masks which has a facade covered in hundreds of stone masks of the rain god Chaac. The impressive character of this art is based in the continue repetition of single elements.

Kabah is open to the public from 8 am to 5 pm. The entrance fee is 10 pesos.