Chiapa de Corzo, Chiapas

Located 14 km. from the capital city of the state of Chiapas, Chiapa de Corzo is on the bank of the Grijalva River. It has been studied that the people Otomague in this place came around A. C. 1000 and ruled over their neighbors. Later, when the Span

Chiapa de Corzo main square is surrounded by arches built in the XVIII Century. A nice old tree, considered sacred, together with the tower of the clock are part of this traditional downtown. Besides, the city is organized into neighborhoods whose names come from ancient times.

The architecture in this neighborhoods keeps traditional elements that can be still admired in churches and fountains. One of these fountains, known as La Pila, is considered the most beautiful Mudejar-style piece in the world.

Tourists should not miss a visit to the temple of Santo Domingo, built in the 1550's, the Museum of Shellac, with handicrafts from the states of Michoacan and Guerrero, and the temple "El Calvario" which features a wooden polychrome altarpiece.

Interesting archaeological sites of the Maya and Olmeca cultures are found nearby, as well as the Angostura dam, one of the largest in the world.